Why I voted for Clinton

It rained cats and dogs today here in Ohio, and after pulling into an empty spot at my polling location this afternoon, I sat in my car for quite some time. Not because of the rain, but because I kept thinking about what I was about to do.

As you've surmised, this two-time GWB voter just pulled the D-lever for Hillary Clinton. Now, before I'm discovered by the New York Times, let me explain. I voted for Hillary on a couple of different levels, one cynical, and the other above-the-board. My above-the-board reasoning is this: McCain doesn't need my vote. He will be the nominee. But if we're destined to have a Democrat in the White House, I'd like to weigh in on which one I prefer. I prefer Hillary.

But not by much. Further, I will never vote for her in the general election. However, Barack Obama is somehow even scarier. He's a smooth operator, quick on his feet, and has a complicit press following. His minority status will make any GOP attack potentially "racial" in nature. Not that he'd accuse, but there are always the "some people say" who feature prominently in NY Times stories. He is more apt to cut and run from the war, and quite possibly better able to do the mythical "reaching across the aisle" that he claims to enact very, very dangerous legislation.

A Clinton presidency, by contrast, I believe would be gridlock, despite her best intentions. And that might not be the worst thing we could have in Washington.

The cynical reason I voted Clinton, of course, is that I believe she is more beatable in November than Obama. This may wind up not being true. Perhaps Americans will get sick of no substance after another eight months of this. But I doubt it. His press conference today (that he walked out on when the going got tough) was telling, but I don't think indicative of how things will be in the future. He will be an unscathed golden boy in November, and I don't think McCain will lay a glove on him (will he even throw a punch?)

So I walked into the fire station this afternoon, handed over my ID (happily), and forced myself to say "Democrat" when asked. I watched the poll worker write a D next to my name and I signed the sheet. I felt more than a little queasy. As I got to the booth, the poll worker set up my ballot on the electronic touch-screen gizmo, and after I pushed the Start Voting button and got my list of Presidential candidates, I actually laughed out loud (quietly). It went quickly. At this point, I had no trouble choosing her above the other buffoons, and left the down-ballot offices to the discretion of real Democrats.

Walking out, I felt like I needed a shower. Fortunately, it's March in Ohio, and God delivered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Predictions (Part II)

"Their success is our failure."