Patton for Bush!

Kicking off the Republican National Convention with a medley of showtunes was a little bizarre, but the short convention-floor interview with veteran Joseph Petrone of New Hampshire was the strangest thing I've ever seen. I must have rewound ten times to make sure I got the quote right. The RNC interviewer stated Petrone was a former "ambassador to President Reagan" and had fought in three wars, and asked him to talk about the wars. I quote Petrone directly:

"Well, the first one was interesting because I was General Patton. The last two I didn't go over into combat... I was a regular army officer and because of that well we've gone on to another one if I could have stayed in."

That was Shakespeare compared to what he said about Bush and veterans' benefits, which was something about the army taking money out of injured veterans' retirement pay, and included the phrase "No double dipping!"

I don't mean to belittle the man, who is obviously getting on in years and has served his country honorably. But perhaps the RNC needs to do a little better job of screening interviewees before putting them on national television.

Popular posts from this blog

Predictions (Part II)

"Their success is our failure."