And then there was baseball

Once again, a DVR issue in the Brooks household meant I missed a large portion of the game. This one however, was caused by my daughter finding the remote in the 5th inning (watching the game on delay), and pushing exactly the wrong button. I did get to see the 10th inning live, however, so how could I be too annoyed? I mercifully missed the Angels' comeback, and witnessed the Red Sox most significant walk-off home run in almost 30 years.

Now, if the Red Sox are to end their longtime drought, should the road to a World Series championship not go through New York and St. Louis (the Cardinals beat Boston in seven games in both the '46 and '67 Series)?

In 1984, the Boston Celtics beat the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA finals. The next year, the Lakers beat Boston. In 1986, the Celtics won their final championship, but as wonderful as it was, the fact that it came over the Rockets instead of the Lakers made it feel almost like cheating. Winning a championship while skirting your chief rival is simply less satisfying.

So in a display of bipartisanship and solidarity with my fellow Banterers, I'm sporting my NYPD T-shirt today. A Sox-Yankees matchup in the ALCS has been on every Sox fan's mind since Game 7 last year. We're waiting in the ALCS now, and cordially invite the Yankees to join us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Predictions (Part II)

"Their success is our failure."