Incredible

I'm enjoying the "Let's go Red Sox!" chant emanating from Yankee Stadium at this moment. Now that's great stuff.

Quite a series, to say the least. I'm still in shock. After winning Game 4, I didn't want to jinx anything, so I kept quiet. And when they kept rolling, I certainly couldn't mess with success. Apologies for my silence.

You couldn't script something like this. As I said in an earlier post, breaking the "curse", and doing it in style, would be going first through NY, then St. Louis. Mainly through New York. And what a way to beat them. Causing a Red Sox-like collapse by the Yankees is the stuff dreams are made of. Breaking the curse? Bucky Dent threw out the first pitch (a move that smacked of desperation, by the way). It couldn't have been any better if a foul ball hit Mookie Wilson in the face.

To the game itself: though it was 8-1 when Pedro came out in the 7th, I was mystified. And I was very nervous when they scored a couple. I started thinking like Mark, that there would be a historic collapse on the part of one team or the other, and was really hoping it wouldn't be on our part.

Where was The Boss? No shots of him tonight. Oh to have been a fly on the wall in his suite. Plenty of shots of Brian Cashman, who is at this moment flipping through his Rolodex.

To revisit one of Stephen's posts, the Yankees should rescind Kevin Brown's contract. He cost them the series. Though they won Game 3, Brown was awful and Torre had to tap his bullpen much earlier than he should have. To then play two extra inning games over the next two days, on the road, the Sox bats were going to catch up with the Yankee relief corps. His performance tonight didn't help much either.

NOW it's ok to start painting World Series logos at Fenway.

It's kind of neat to be the token Sox fan in Indian territory. They're a different type of fan. More positive than any east coast breed. Within a few days of blowing Game 7 of the 97 Series, you never heard about it again. It never comes up now. This just seems odd to me. But what I like about them is they can still manage to hate the Yankees. Not as much as we do, naturally, but as this series progressed, people would stop me in the hallway to talk about beating those Yankees. Today it felt like I was going to be in the game for all the well-wishing I got around the office.

"Good luck tonight, we'll be thinking of you."
"Beat those Yankees."
"Go Sox, we're all pulling for you."

It was all very touching, and I'd like to thank those who showed their support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Predictions (Part II)

"Their success is our failure."