Where are we, Dr. Laffer?

It struck me the other day that the Republicans are making a bit of an odd argument. They have added up Senator Kerry's new spending proposals and have concluded that his economic plan will cost trillions. Good for them.

The problem is their next leap. John Kerry has not come out and said he will raise taxes (what has he come out and said he would do?). But the President and his campaign have been saying that the only way to pay for all this spending is to raise taxes.

Are the Republicans being opportunistic, disingenuous, or have we reached the portion of the Laffer curve at which increasing taxes will actually increase revenue? And if that is the case, then Bush's tax cuts must hurt revenue collection over the next few years. Not what we've advertised.

If I were John Kerry, looking for a response to an accusation about raising taxes in a televised debate, I might say something like, "Raise taxes, Mr. President? I've got my supply-sider's handbook right here. It says I need to lower them increase revenue. Now I'm confused. Which is it, Mr. President?"

The likelihood of Bush being called on this is remote, as I doubt Senator Kerry is a Banterer. Still, I'd feel better if our side would stick to campaign rhetoric that does not contradict an established pillar of conservatism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Predictions (Part II)

"Their success is our failure."