Who'll write this song?

"Out on the road today, I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac,
A little voice Inside my head said, 'Don't look back. You can never look back.'"
-- Don Henley

Well, I got him beat. Driving home this afternoon I saw George W. Bush stickers on not one, but TWO Volkswagens.

Several years ago, my former boss, who was an avid Volkswagen collector, and a colleague, another VW owner and enthusiast, were at a party and having a conversation about... Volkswagens. I think I had accidentally stumbled into the conversation, and finding no easy way out, just stood there, glazed over. At one point they began discussing the various "types" of VW drivers, and one of them looked at me and said, "Howard's kind of a 'Jetta' guy, I think." This, of course, being because the Jetta is the most conservative and "square" VW (apparently).

This stuck in my head because I thought they were batty. Sure, a Jetta driver may be conservative in relation to other VW drivers, but he's got NPR on his first preset and owns more than one pair of sandals. Actual conservatives are not Volkswagen types. That was my theory.

Apparently I'm full of crap. Thank the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Predictions (Part II)

"Their success is our failure."